Monday, March 28, 2011

Caught in the Middle

I think that lately the initial shock of being in a foreign place has finally worn off a bit (only 2 months after arrival).  I’ve slowly realized that I’m here for the long haul, a thought that is both awesome and somewhat of a reality check.  I’m still just as glad to be here as I was when I first arrived.  This city is amazing, and every day is an adventure.  I don’t know what I’m going to do when I return home and am without the constant stimulation of city life.  All the same, I miss all the people at home that I love so much.  Half the time I think about how I want to stop time because the semester is flying away, and how I never want to leave St. Petersburg.  The other half of the time I think about my family and friends at home, wonder what they’re doing without me, and think about all the wonderful things that I will do with them when we are reunited.  It’s a beautiful conflict, really.  More than anything, I’ve realized just how blessed I am to be given so many amazing relationships and opportunities both here in Russia and at home.  That’s something that I’ve always known, but it’s something that I feel even more strongly when I take a step back from my normal life.  Now, more than ever, I realize the importance of savoring each sweet moment wherever I am.    

No comments:

Post a Comment