Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Best of the Hermitage

Since I have spent a good portion of my time here wandering the halls of the amazing Hermitage, I figured it was only appropriate to share with you my two favorite pieces of art displayed there.

Rembrandt's  Return of the Prodigal Son
Children's exhibit that I walk by every time I leave.
Please note the crying, severed head.  So epic.  
Okay, so I know that these two artists have very different styles, but they are both awesome in their own way.  I never imagined the Rembrandt to be so powerful in person, but it is.  Words don't do it justice.  If you haven't read Henry Nouwen's The Return of the Prodigal Son, you should and then come to St. Pete and stand for hours in front of this painting in awe.  And then you should catch this lesser known masterpiece, which I like to call "Crying, Severed Head."  It's pretty epic.  I love the look of satisfaction on the face of the decapitator.  I walk by this children's exhibit to exit the Hermitage, and this picture makes me laugh every time.  What can I say, I have high taste!  

No comments:

Post a Comment