Tuesday, June 7, 2011

escalatoring.

St. Pete lays claim to the deepest metros in the world, which equals the longest metro escalators.  Needless to say I, therefore, spend a lot of time riding these escalators.  In the hustle and bustle of the commute and the crowds pushing and hurrying along, there is a pause of about five minutes to stand still.  The code for escalator riding is strict and understood.  On a down-escalator the right side is for standing and the left side is for running.  Standing on the left side will result in being pushed down or run over by those commuters who are in a real hurry.  On an up-escalator standing on the right or left side is acceptable.  Very few people have the will or the physical fitness to actually climb the whole way up, even if they are in a hurry.  Escalators also equal prime people-watching time.  Five full minutes of staring at all the passersby, many of whom take up the favorite escalator pastime of making out.  PDA is very public in Russia, and people do not let any opportunity for more kissing pass them by.  I have come to love riding these escalators.  They force me to slowdown and just be for a few minutes.  They give me a sense of calm.  And most importantly the faces that pass me by remind me of who Russia is.  I'm really gonna miss 'em when I'm gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment